Friday, October 10, 2008

Peaceful Warrior

Quotes from an amazing movie I just saw called "Peaceful Warrior".  I swear this is my life story

You can live a whole lifetime without ever truly being awake.
slow down.  You might taste something.
Everyone tells you what to do and what's good for you.  They don't want you to find your own answers.  They want you to believe theirs.  I want you to stop gathering information from outside yourself, and start gathering from the inside.  People are afraid of what's inside, and that's the only place their gonna find what they need.
You tell me that you wanna be more than someone who gets up on those rings and performs a well practiced stunt or two.  You tell me you wanna be someone who uses his mind and his body in ways that most people would never have the courage to, and I will train you to be a real warrior.
People are not their thoughts.  They think they are, and it brings them all kinds of sadness.  The mind is just a reflex organ.  It reacts to everything.  It fills your head with millions of random thoughts a day.  And none of those thoughts reveal any more about you than a freckle does at the end of your nose.
Take out the trash. The trash is up here [in your head].  That's the first part of your training: learning how to throw away everything you don't need up here.  The trash is anything that's keeping you from the only thing that matters. This moment here and now.  And when you truly are in the here and now, you'll be amazed by what you can do, and how well you can do it.
 Present: 100% devoted to the experience. 
You're out of your mind, you know that?  It's taken a lifetime of practice.   We want you out of your mind too.  You weren't paying attention.  Even now you're not.  Your mind's filling up again.  You're missing out on everything that's going on.
Sometimes you have to lose your mind before you can come to your senses.
A warrior does not give up what he loves.  He finds the love in what he does.  
A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability.  He's about absolute vulnerability.  That's the only true courage.  
Life is choice.  You can choose to be a victim or anything else you'd like to be.  
A warrior acts.  Only a fool reacts.
What if I can't do it.  That's the future.  Throw it out.  
There is no starting or stopping.  Only doing.
All of humanity shares you predicament.  If you don't get what you want, you suffer.  And even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer,  because you can't hold onto it forever.  
You don't surrender your dreams.  You surrender the one thing you never have and you never will.  Control.  Accept that you don't control what will happen to you.  That you may or may not compete in the olympics and that you are something exceptional either way.
Chasing gold?  Living in fear that you might fail?  That's what you love?  No! Dreaming about standing up there and winning this thing-of doing what has always felt like I was put here to do.  I've been on a trampoline since before I could ride a bike because I loved it-because it was the first thing that I was sure that I loved...I'm sorry.  I thought i was strong, but I'm not.  Cuz I really tried to give this whole thing up, but I can't.
Life is a mystery.  Don't waste time trying to figure it out.  Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself.  It is a strength beyond all measure.  Change: Know that nothing stays the same.
Come on!  This is what I was finally ready to see!?  Well the whole trip up here you were excited and happy!  Well, yeah!  because I thought I was gonna see something!  You were like a kid on christmas morning!  I mean you said so yourself.  The whole trip up here you felt good.  because for the past 3 hours I've been waiting to see this wonderful thing.  Well what changed?  that there's nothing here but this rock!  ... The journey.  The journey's what brings us happiness.  Not the destination.

No comments: