Monday, February 9, 2009

I am soooo not present

So this evening while my instructor was wrapping up class and going over information I thought I already knew, I was thinking about the movie "Peaceful Warrior", and how cool it is to be present, when I realized that by thinking about the movie, I was completely not present in the class.  It was rediculous.  I've been paying particular attention to it all day, and realized that I'm probably completely present less than 10 percent of the time.  I can't get through 3 steps of choreography that I already know with out my mind wandering off to some more challenging or entertaining topic.  They may be great interesting topics, but what happened to "there are no ordinary moments"?  I'm not paying attention.  and I CAN'T even when I am determined to do so.  when I'm actually performing a series of moves that I know, even if I put intense effort into focusing on the details of each movement, I will get distracted my little thoughts or ideas, and switch my movements over to autopilot.  My mind wanders whenever I get bored with a conversation.  I found this phenomenon so interesting and troubling that I spent the whole ride home contemplating it (rather than paying attention to my immediate surroundings...like the road and cars!)  I'm not sure what character defect that is, but it's something I'm trying to take note of and address.  
Things I did really well today:
-I woke up early enough to have a relaxing morning and do all of my meditations even though I forgot to set my alarm for 6 am!
-I had a really good long conversation about learning to be present and keenly aware of people, and how to apply that to the art I'm learning, and agreed to commence intense training towards that end with my instructor.
-Had a good talk with another OA about intuitive eating, and how i'm learning to apply it
-Took action to get a last minute apt with a new therapist, and went!  I've also agreed to do homework of asking questions when i hang out with a new friend tomorrow.  that's gonna be hard and scary, but i'll check back in on that.
-got a massage
-practiced detaching from pain.  holy crap that was hard, but when I can acknowledge that i'm not being damaged, and it's actually repairing old injuries, I had to just accept it.  "it's just pain" and relax into it.  stop fighting it.  i actually did it.  it doesn't feel quite as bad when you stop fighting.
-iced 
-ordered my favorite healthy gorilla lite green juice
-went to a group meeting, contributed my opinion to the discussion, and volunteered to head up a committee
-made a dentist appointment
-wrote out my schedule for the week
-i'm doing some writing and inventory
-i've pretty well minded my fullness at every meal today!  I ate all of my dinner, but I think i needed it all.
-did some business with pictures

No comments: