Friday, August 22, 2008

New Priorities

1. Connection to my Higher Power
I think this always has to come first if I am ever going to be happy and secure.  When I am in constant contact, I have such a calm confidence because I know that I'm always going to be taken care of.  There's always someone with me on my side who can do absolutely anything.  It helps me to accept whatever is going on, because I know that there's a reason for it.  If I can just stay open and available during times of crisis, I will find that there is an amazing and worthwhile lesson made just for me at that exact moment.  This is how I get a life beyond my wildest dreams.  (this was previously not even on the list of priorities)
2. Human Connection
Somehow, this just makes everything better.  I can't even explain how it works yet, but knowing and caring about other people, and being known and loved...everything is just better.  Looking back at all of the goals and projects I have embarked on and infused with meaning: the ones where I worked with a team are the ones that stuck with me.  The things I did for "us", where I knew someone else cared as much as I did, and we were in it together...those are the things that mattered.  And not because of what we did, but because we were connected.  (when I was feeling particularly sentimental, this used to squeeze its way up to number 4 or 5 on the big list of priorities, but usually it was the first thing to be sacrificed for athletics, school, job, weight...)
3. Being true to myself
I've always had a pretty clear sense of who I am and what I want.  This used to be my highest priority (actually it was consistently #1-4 and 6-10 on the list!) in the form of pursuing my dreams.  I pursued my dreams to a fault, forcing and manipulating them...determining exactly what I had to do to be the best, and shunning everything that got in my way.  I was unflexible, and couldn't allow my dreams to change or adapt.  I lost part of myself in the unreasonable adherence to a game plan I had written in the past.  Now I understand that my dreams are only a part of who I am.  I am also my values and ideas.  I have other likes and interests which should not be denied.  There are so many parts of me that I have neglected for so long, and discovering them makes me so much more authentic, interesting, and even efficient.  I actually make more progress towards my goals if I allow other more important things to be balanced in my life.  Focusing on nothing but my dreams cuts my legs out from under me.  

No comments: